Master 4, my youngest, only had a half day at school today so we got the chance this afternoon to spend some incredibly rare one-on-one time together. Perfect opportunity to make the “Sleep Promoting Paleo Gummies” by Rubies And Radishes that popped up on my Facebook page all week. The key ingredient, tart cherry juice concentrate conveniently arrived in the mail this morning!
According to her post here, a couple of studies have indicated that tart cherry juice concentrate may increase melatonin production and improve sleep quality. Indeed, if you believe everything you read on the packaging of the brand I bought, it contains “a goldmine of phenolics, which are naturally occurring plant compounds that have anti-inflammatory and antioxidative properties……Tart cherries are also a rich source of melatonin“.
Gelatin apparently can also balance cortisol levels and calm the body to promote sleep and reduce stress.
Can’t hurt to give it a try!
I made a few tweaks to the original recipe. Kefir gummies are a regular thing in our house so I decided that these gummies could be pimped up further with some kefir probiotic goodness as well. The original recipe also made LOADS of gummies so I have halved some of the quantities. Feel free to double up the recipe if you fancy having lots of these on hand.
They turned out great. A little messy to make but perhaps that was more because I had my little helper “helping” me today. With a 1:1 ratio of cherry juice to water kefir/water I most definitely don’t think they need any sweetener added. If you choose to dilute the juice/water ratio to 1:2 then perhaps some honey might be needed. We found these deliciously sweet and tart made as per below. The kids and I don’t drink fruit juice at all so for them these are sweet enough. They were so sweet that they are most certainly not an every day food but I much prefer making gummies ourselves at home than giving them store bought. Compare the ingredient list to packet of Haribos!
We used silcone chocolate moulds like these to get the fun shapes – yes that is Father Christmas and a Xmas tree you see among our gummies. Master 4 is Christmas mad – even in June! You can also use a glass baking dish and cut into pieces after it has set if you don’t have moulds.
SLEEP PROMOTING PALEO KEFIR GUMMIES
1 cup tart cherry juice concentrate (I used this kind)
1 cup water kefir or filtered water (I used unflavoured home made water kefir)
2 tablespoons grassfed gelatin (I recommend this brand – significantly cheaper if you buy here from iherb in the US)
Avocado oil or alternative – as long as it won’t solidfy in the fridge (I use this one)
1 – 2 tablespoons of raw honey* (optional)
1. Combine cherry juice concentrate and water kefir / water in a bowl.
2. Set aside 1/2 cup of the mixture and sprinkle the gelatin over it. Set it aside. The gelatin will absorb the liquids.
3. Heat your remaining juice (and honey if desired) in a small saucepan on a medium-low heat such that it warms but doesn’t boil.
4. Turn off heat and add the set aside gelatin/juice combo to the hot saucepan.
5. Stir continuously until well combined ensuring there are no gelatin lumps.
6. Lightly brush your molds or glass dish with avocado oil so they are easier to remove once set.
7. Carefully pour the gelatin/juice mixture into your moulds or glass dish. Transfer carefully to the fridge and allow to set for 2 to 3 hours.